Main menu

Pages

Maria Fassi with best individual finish on tour in Cincinnati | LPGA




Maria Fassi may not take home a trophy at the Kroger Queen City Championship presented by P&G, but the 24-year-old is certainly holding her head high. After starting one stroke back from leader Ally Ewing on 54 holes on Sunday, Fassi was able to pull in a final lap of 71 to finish third solo, her best individual finish of her career on the LPGA Tour. The 2019 Tour rookie got off to a less than stellar start, with two bogeys at Nos. 3 and 7. But three straight birdies at Nos. 10-12 helped her jump back into the standings on her way to an overall score of -16.


“Just very, very happy. I could say I fell short, you know, I could look at all the negatives, but I'm extremely proud of how we fought this week, how well we played," said Fassi. "Being in the fight is a place where I want to be a lot more, so it's definitely a huge boost, but at the same time a huge pat on the back for all the work we've done.”


Fassi, who started week No. 97 in the race for the CME Globe Points standings, jumped 30 places with the result in Cincinnati to No. 67, putting the Mexican in a solid spot as she looks to secure her status with seven for 2023. events still on the 2022 schedule ahead of the CME Group Tour Championship. Fassi has only made her way to the Tour season finale once, in 2020 when the criteria allowed 72 exempt players, and T61 finished. With some pressure off her shoulders, she will turn her attention to a few new targets on her way to the AmazingCre Portland Classic and the Walmart NW Arkansas Championship at home.


"I've had my back against the ropes all year, so it's pretty cool to at least catch my breath and be in a better place than I've been all year," said Fassi. “I like the upcoming tournaments that we have. They are great golf courses. Of course we have Arkansas in a few weeks, and we're just really happy to be back home. I just want to build on what was this week and hopefully finish the year with Tiburon."




Comments